This recipe uses nonfat plain Greek Yogurt, applesauce, and fresh shredded zucchini. It’s half the sugar and has all the flavor!
Jump to Recipe
The zucchini is ready to harvest, and I’m always ready to bake! I needed a lower-calorie version of the zucchini bread recipe that I use, especially since it has 220 calories per slice. It is also high in oil and sugar.
I was able, in half the time, to make my own version. It’s only 129 calories per slice and much healthier.
Substitutions for low fat and low calories
To make this zucchini bread more healthy, I made the following substitutions:
- Nonfat plain greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is a good choice for baking. It provides a healthy source of protein without compromising the texture.
- Applesauce– A classic substitution in low fat cooking for oil, applesauce has been used as a good replacement since the 80’s! This is what I love to do.
- Sugar should be reduced– I did try some sugar free substitutes, but I was just never happy with the flavor. I decided to limit the sugar. My classic recipe calls for 2 cups sugar. This one only requires 1/2 cup. This recipe is a huge calorie saver.
This zucchini bread is a great way to keep your nutrition and health on track!
- 1/2 Cup Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Medium eggs
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Cups Self-rising flour
- 2 Cups Shredded Zucchini
Combine the yogurt, applesauce and sugar with the eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in the self-rising flour and cinnamon.
Add the shredded zucchini.
You can use all purpose flour, but I prefer the texture of self-rising flour.
Place in a 9X5 WELL GREATED loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 70 minutes or until a knife can be used to open the loaf pan.
The best results are achieved if I cover the bread with foil after 30 mins so that the foil doesn’t burn and the insides don’t get scorched.
Serving: 1Slice | Calories: 129Cal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 231mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g
PIN THIS FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!