You can add flavor to any meal without adding calories. If you’re looking for low-calorie sauces or dressings, bring this list with you to the store the next time you shop!
Sauces added to meat, pasta, or vegetables can often have high calories. Many sauces are full of sugar and oil. It can be tempting not to include condiments in your diet if you’re trying reduce calories.
There are many healthier options. Here’s 13 of my favorite sauces that keep calories low, but flavor high.
6 Tips to Reduce Calories and Increase Flavor
- Sauces and dressings should contain little or no sugar
- Low fat options
- Use olive oil or avocado oil if it has fat.
- Vinegars can add a punch to flavor, such as apple cider and balsamic.
- Fresh herbs are great for any meal
- Lemon juice is a great thing to keep on hand
My Favorite Low Calorie Hot Sauces
Cholula This is a combination of arbol and piquin peppers with spices.
- Cholula is just one option. It has a Mexican spicy vinegar taste and it’s great on eggs, tacos or to add more spice to chili.
- 1 teaspoon has 0 calories and 0 fat. It also has 0 carbs and 0 proteins. However, it contains 110 mg sodium!
Sriracha is a low calorie sauce, generally made from Chile’s and vinegar.
- This dressing is great for adding spice to Asian dishes such as stir-fry. I also like spicy dressings for salads. You can also add tuna with Greek yogurt or mayo.
- 1 tsp has 70 mg of sodium, 1 g carbs, and 0 calories.
3) Mild Taco Bell Taco Sauce
If you prefer a milder ‘hot sauce’This one with Taco Bell brand is delicious.
- Mild Taco Bell sauce contains 0 calories, 25 mg sodium, and 0 grams protein.
Low Calorie Condiments
4) Liquid Aminos
Liquid Aminos is flavoring made of soybeans.
- This is similar to soy sauce, but not as salty. This is great for marinating meats and adding to rice bowls.
- 1 tsp contains 5 calories, 0 Fat, 1 g carbohydrates, 1 g Protein, and is very high sodium at 310 mg.
5) Balsamic Vinegar
Balsamic vinegarThis is made from unfermented grapes juice.
- Balsamic vinegar can be used by itself to reduce calories. You could also add oil and herbs to the vinegar. It’s great for dressings, pasta salads, and even as a marinade for chicken.
- 1 teaspoon has 15 calories, 0 Fat, 3 g carbohydrates, 0 protein and 0 mg of sodium.
Mustard This condiment is made from mustard seeds and vinegar. It is low in calories.
- There are so many different types of mustard. I like to mix up the mustards in my sandwiches. A low-calorie dressing is made with mustard and lemon juice along with a little oil.
- 1 teaspoon of classic mustard contains 0 calories, 0. fat, 0 carbs, 0 proteins, and 55 mg sodium.
Low Calorie dressings
7) Yogurt Ranch Dressing
Bolthouse Yogurt dressings have the best low-calorie dressings available.
- This is a great low calorie ranch, you don’t have to give up ranch dressing.
- 2 tablespoons have 45 calories, 3 grams fat, 3 grams carbs, 1g Protein, and 230 mg sodium.
8) Sugar Free/Fat Free Poppyseed dressing
Another low-calorie dressing option is Skinny Girl
- For those that love sweet poppyseed dressing this is a sugar free option (it’s sweetened with sucralose). This dressing is great for chicken salads and salad dressings.
- 2 tablespoons have 10 calories, 0 carbs, 3 g carbohydrates, 0 protein and 210 mg sodium.
9) Green Goddess Clothing
Another delicious low-calorie dressing is the Green Goddess salad dressing from Trader Joe’s.
- The Avocado dressing from Trader Joe’s is full of fresh herbs and goes great on a salad, wrap or even just to top a protein veggie bowl.
- 2 tablespoons of the stuff has 20 calories, 2g fat, 1g carbs, 0 proteins, and 95m sodium.
- Tzatziki is great on wraps. It is also delicious on wraps and as a dip with vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons contains 60 calories, 4.5 grams fat, 2 grams carbs, 1g Protein, and 200 mg sodiumThis brand provides nutrition data)
11) Romesco Dip
Romesco Dip is a delicious combination of peppers, nuts and oil.
- This is another Trader Joe’s find, if you like roasted peppers this one’s for you. You can use it to spread on sandwiches or to top a bowl of protein.
- 35 calories, 3g fat, 2g carbs, 0 proteins, and 140m sodium per tablespoon.
Low Calorie Sauces
12) Sugar Free BBQ Sauce
If you haven’t seen the line up of GHughes sugar-free sauces Yet, they are getting better! The sauces have 10-20 calories per two tablespoons, 0 calories from fat and 2 grams carbs with 200mg sodium.
13) Low Calorie Spaghetti Sauce
Finally, the spaghetti sauce. For a tomato based sauce, you’d think the calories wouldn’t be that high. A lot of spaghetti sauce is over-sugared.
My top pick for low calorie spaghetti sauce is Hunt’s No added sugar. It’s only 25 calories for 1/2 cup, but it has 610 mg of sodium! That’s pretty high, so use sparingly. This can be used on pasta but I prefer it on zoodles.
These are my picks of low-calorie dressings and sauces. Which are your favorite low-calorie sauces and dressings?